John Backer was born and raised in East Tennessee and learned that Tennessee is known as the “Volunteer State” – he takes volunteering and community involvement to heart.
- Soon after high school graduation, joined the Air Force and worked as an Aircraft Electrician on A-10 aircraft
- Served in the Arizona Air National Guard in Tucson as an Aircraft Electrician on F-16 and A-7 aircraft
- Volunteered for Junior Achievement
- Volunteered for Habitat for Humanity
- Served as the Cub Master for Cub Scout Pack 328 in Green Valley, AZ for 4 years and 1 year as an assistant during the transition to new Cub Master
- Ran for Pima County Supervisor District 4 in 2016 and lost to the current supervisor
- Currently serves as vice chairman of the Town of Sahuarita Planning and Zoning Commission
- Currently serves on the Pima County Board of Adjustments for district 4
- Previously served as an appointed precinct committeeman
- Currently serving as an elected precinct committeeman
- Previously served as the 3rd vice chair for legislative district 2
- Currently serves as the 1st vice chair for legislative district 2
- Frequently speaks during calls to the audience at Pima County Board of Supervisor meetings
- Recently worked to defeat Proposition 463 which would have increased taxes on Pima county residents to repair the roads without requiring the board of supervisor and county administrator to use the 92 million dollars received from the state to maintain our roads
If you are not currently involved in our community, contact John Backer to see how you can serve and give back to your community.